Good skin from the inside out.
Did you know our skin is actually our largest organ? The integumentary system plays an integral role in detoxification, its is our first line of defence in our immune system, vitamin D synthesis, body temperature regulation, sensation & stores blood! wow right, we need to look after our skin!
Having good skin has always been a goal of mine, because - well, it doesn't quite come as natural to me as it does to others. While I don't have bad skin, it is something that has to be a priority and is something I have to commit to daily.
Skin health is generally multifactorial for everyone, and can be influenced by genetics, hormonal balance or imbalance, dietary, lifestyle and topical behaviours. What we put in our bodies, and on our skin all has the ability to influence skin appearance, our healing capacity, hydration and over all skin vitality!
SKIN ESSENTIALS FROM THE INSIDE OUT
- Connective tissue nutrients
- Zinc: zinc is an essential trace element with an integral role in skin health. Zinc is an important connective tissue nutrient that is a co-factor in collagen production, wound healing, cellular differentiation, proliferation and reducing oxidation and inflammation. Its antioxidant properties protect against ultraviolet damage (GALIMBERTI & MESINKOVSKA., 2016).
- Vitamin A (Retinol/Retinoic acid ): Vitamin A is involved in cellular differentiation of epidermal cells, increasing thickness in skin structure & also increases glycosaminoglycan synthesis that is responsible for retaining water and increasing collagen production reversing premature ageing and fine lines (KAFI et al., 2007).
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C cannot be synthesised in the body therefore must be acquired from the diet. Vitamin C is involved in the hydroxylation of proline & glycine which is an required step in the formation of collagen reducing fine lines and firming skin. conditions such as stress, smoking, viral illness, fever and antibiotic use can lead to diminished vitamin C levels (GALIMBERTI & MESINKOVSKA., 2016).
- antioxidants: such as bioflavinoids, B complex vitamins are required for their oxidant quenching capabilities, detoxification involvement, and reduce risk of cellular damage such as UV radiation damage, chemical exposure and toxic load.
- Omega 3: Omega 3 fatty acids are well documented for their anti-inflammatory affects. Omega 3 and evening primrose oil (omega 6 fatty acid that is also anti-inflammatory) also contribute to cell membrane fluidity, increasing skin hydration and relieving dryness!
- Collagen: Connective tissue is made up of collagen & elastin fibres and these structures are made from the major amino acids, glycine and proline along with important co-factors outlined above. collagen is important for skin strength and durability, plumpness & ability to retain fluid in the skin.
- Water: water - well, water is pretty simple! we all need more water & on a cellular level, there is high concentrations of water in our intracellular (in the cell) fluid & extracellular (in-between the cells) fluid, and the balance is controlled by electrolytes. If there is too much fluid outside the cells it can cause oedema (fluid retention) and if there is too much fluid inside the cells it can cause cellular damage (this is where diets too high in sodium and too low in fruits and vegetables - potassium ) and not enough fluid all together can cause dehydration and ultimately cell death.
Beauty boosters are a storehouse supplement that do just that! They contain all the essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids involved in these processes contributing to a healthy skin complexion each and every day!
SKIN FROM THE OUTSIDE IN
I am currently on the minimisation pathway when it comes to skin products and makeup I use on my face! Unfortunately for us, one of the most common place we find Xenoestrgens is in our skin care ranges and make up. Xenoestrogens are potent compounds that mimic oestrogen in the body contributing to hormonal dysregulation! One of my beautiful friends Jess Kent (check her out, she's incredible - and skin goals) got me onto the most EPIC skin care range from a brand by the name of, Biologi.
Biologi is the worlds first skin care product made from just 1 ingredient each! How's that for pure! They use a unique extraction process that extracts the aqueous (water soluble) compounds from their ingredients with an incredible extraction rate with the vitamins and phytonutrients intact in their original form. Water soluble vitamins (vitamin C) are very delicate compounds and can be easily damaged by water, light and air. Biologi has the first unaltered serum containing these active ingredients in their natural form.
They have 3 products in their range, a luminous face serum, an eye serum and a hydrating body serum.
- Bd - LUMINOSITY FACE SERUM - contains 100% Davidsonia Jerseyana (Davidson Plum) Fruit Extract and contains a multitude of antioxidants and phenolic acids including gallic acid, tactaric acid, anthocyanin and quercetin.
- Theses phytonutrients and vitamins have been known for their melanogenesis affects reducing pigmentation promoting even skin colour and tone and reducing dark circles under the eyes, potent anti-inflammatory affects, prevents skin irritation, photo-protection defending against UV damage, reduces membrane lipid peroxidation, skin redness and dryness. It leaves your face looking radiant, hydrated, plump and refreshed! I use this serum daily and my skin has never looked better.
- Bk - REJUVENATION EYE SERUM - contains 100% Terminalia Ferdinandiana (Kakadu Plum) Fruit Extract and it has an extremely high concentration of vitamin C and phenolic acids, ellagic acid and gallic acid.
- these are involved in the above mechanisms and reduces DNA damage and is used in the treatment of chronic UV exposure and is anti-aging. Furthermore, is also involved in collagen formation and diminishes the appearance of fine lines and firms the skin promoting hydration! I also use this daily at night before bed (sometimes on my whole face).
- Bf - HYDRATION BODY SERUM - contains 100% Citrus Australasica (Finger Lime) Fruit Extract and is also high in fruit acids, vitamin C, the amino acid tryptophan, ferulic Acid (Hydroxycinnamic Acid) & the flavonoid - Byangelicin.
- Vitamin C, as stated previously, is a potent antioxidant preventing free radicle damage, UV protection, collagen formation promoting skin suppleness reducing fine lines increasing skin elasticity and is anti-aging. Tryptophan is an amino acid that is excellent for increasing moisture and smoothness to the skin however it is mostly soothing and hydrating for the hair. Ferulic Acid is a potent antioxidant and additionally works to increase moisture within the cutaneous layers of the skin & Byangelicin is also a flavonone that potentiates anti-glycation activity (gylcation is a process in which advanced glycation end products are formed causing collagen to become stiff and malformed), reduces the apearance of cellulite and dimples and stops the build up of skin causing flakiness and dryness!
The world we live in today we are constantly faced with toxic compounds, in the air, in our make up, skin products, our food and our water, therefore where possible, minimising exposure should be a priority as this chemical burden over loads our liver impacting detoxification capabilities and essentially our bodily functions and how we feel each and every day!
I hope you enjoyed this post & as always, if you have any questions please let me know!