Chocolate gummy goodness
These gut loving gummies are sure to be a hit! For the husband, the kids – whoever they’re for! delicious and nutritious for the whole family!
Gummy goodness general rule of thumb...
1 – ½ cups liquid (fruit etc)
1/3 cup of water (COLD)
3 ½ tbsp gelatin - I use great lakes gelatin as it is made from grass fed bovine (beef) bones and is the highest quality option available.
You can really make this recipe your own, as the liquid component can be anything! Fruit, coconut milk etc. - whatever you like.
1 x can coconut milk, or coconut cream
1 x tsp vanilla essence
3 x tbsp carob powder (you can also use cacao powder if you’re a carob hater)
1 – 2 x tbsp maple syrup (but only if you like it sweet, otherwise omit this if you prefer sugar free like myself)
1/3 cup gelatin
1/3 cup cold water
- Mix together the gelatin and cold water until fully combined and let sit for a few minutes to allow the gelatin to develop (this can affect the consistency of the gummies if left for too little time).
- In a saucepan over a low heat, combine the coconut milk, vanilla, maple syrup and carob and stir until well combined and heated.
- Add the gelatin mixture until melted and fully dissolved.
- Add to cute little moulds, or a dish to set in the fridge.
- Once set devour!
- Lower in oxalates (which inhibit the absorption of minerals such as iron & magnesium). Cacao is higher in oxalates (cacao has many other health benefits, I am purely stating in regards to the oxalates).
- Contains insoluble fibre, calcium, iron, selenium, magnesium & polyphenols.
- Studies have shown that the administration of carob 2 had a cholesterol lowering affect of low-density lipoproteins (LDL or “bad” cholesterol) and increased bowel function.
- Carob is also naturally sweet.
- Extremely high in protein 11g per 12g serve! Snacks high in protein are great post workout (within 30 minutes) for optimal muscle recovery and are sure to satiate keeping you fuller for longer.
- Gelatin encompasses 30% of the amino acid glycine a precursor of glutathione, which is the highest concentrated antioxidant in the body.
- Glycine acts as a neuromodulator in regions of the brain that are rich in excitatory neuron synapses & works in synergy with GABA an inhibitory neurotransmitter responsible for increases relaxation, calmness & sleep quality & quantity.
- Lysine, proline & glycine are the major amino acids (along with co-factors vitamin A, C & zinc) that make up collagen & elastin for healthy skin, nails and hair.
- Gelatin also contains glucosamine, a component of glycosaminoglycans, which make up part of the protective barrier of your gut lining (mucosa). A healthy gut lining is imperative for optimal gut & immune health.
- Glucosamine also stimulates the production of hyaluronic acid in synovial fluid that is responsible for the lubricating & shock absorbing properties in joints.
These would have to be my favourite! I am a serious carob lover though!
- Bridget x